HealthSherpa enrolls more than 450,000 people in the first two weeks of Open Enrollment
Note to Media: We can provide state-level aggregate data for categories shown here for healthcare.gov states where HealthSherpa offers ACA-subsidized policies.
The first two weeks of Open Enrollment are behind us, and HealthSherpa has already helped nearly half a million people enroll in quality, affordable ACA Marketplace plans. Based on the first week’s data on Healthcare.gov enrollment as a whole, we currently account for about 1 in 4 of all applications going through the federal platform.
With millions losing their jobs and health coverage due to the coronavirus pandemic, this year’s Open Enrollment is even more important than usual, and demand for coverage has remained strong. Even better, more than 95% of enrollees have qualified for a subsidy, and most have found very affordable coverage, with a median net premium of $51/month. So far, we’ve helped consumers access over $2.5 billion in subsidies for 2021.
Read on for more detailed insights into the 2021 Open Enrollment Period so far.
Key Enrollment Metrics, Nov 1st – 14th
- HealthSherpa policies: 315,058 (up 88% from 167,929 in 2019)
- HealthSherpa lives: 459,985 (up 88% from 245,176 in 2019)
- Top States, 2020: FL, TX, NC, GA, MS (unchanged from 2019)
Costs & subsidies
- Percentage claiming a subsidy: 96% (up 1% from 95% in 2019)
- Median Gross Premium: $764 (down 1% from $775 in 2019)
- Median Net Premium: $51 (up 19% from $43.00 in 2019)
- Median Subsidy: $656.00 (down 2% from $670 in 2019)
- Percent enrolled in $0 plans: 19% (flat from 2019)
- Metal tier breakdown: Platinum <1% / Gold 3% / Silver 70% / Bronze 3% / Expanded Bronze 24% / Catastrophic <1%
- Receiving CSR: 66% overall
- Average Applicants Per Policy: 1.46 (flat from 2019)
- Sex of primary applicant: 56% female, 44% male
- Median age: 49 (down from 50 in 2019)
- Primary applicant age distribution: 2% under 21 / 13% 21-29 / 16% 30-39 / 21% 40-49 / 30% 50-59 / 18% 60+
For media inquiries, please contact our VP of Marketing, Divya Raghavan, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about HealthSherpa’s partnership offering for employers, nonprofits, and other community stakeholders, contact our partnerships manager Aleka Gürel, at email@example.com.
Disclaimer: data listed here is for federal marketplace states only and accurate to 5%.