This Open Enrollment, most can get covered for $51/month or less
Note to Media: We can provide state-level aggregate data for categories shown here for healthcare.gov states where HealthSherpa offers ACA-subsidized policies. Please reach out if you’re interested in additional data.
The annual Marketplace Open Enrollment Period is now more than halfway through, and enrollment remains strong. So far 96% of enrollees have qualified for a subsidy, and 65% for additional savings on their out of pocket expenses. Most HealthSherpa enrollees have found coverage for $51/month or less, and nearly 1 in 5 have enrolled in a plan with a $0 net premium.
Read on for more detailed insights into the 2021 Open Enrollment Period so far.
Key Enrollment Metrics, Nov 1st – 28th
- HealthSherpa policies: 612,942 (up 72% from 355,930 in 2019)
- HealthSherpa lives: 905,806 (up 71% from 528,627 in 2019)
- Top States, 2020: FL, TX, GA, NC, MS (In 2019, GA was 4th-highest)
Costs & subsidies
- Percentage claiming a subsidy: 96% (up 1% from 94% in 2019)
- Median Gross Premium: $762 (down 1% from $771 in 2019)
- Median Net Premium: $51 (up 15% from $45.00 in 2019)
- Median Subsidy: $653.00, (down 2% from $664 in 2019)
- Percent enrolled in $0 plans: 19% (up from 18% in 2019)
Detailed costs and subsidies by state
- Metal tier breakdown: Platinum <1% / Gold 3% / Silver 69 % / Bronze 3% / Expanded Bronze 25% / Catastrophic <1%
- Receiving CSR: 65% overall
- Average Applicants Per Policy: Stable (1.48, down from 1.49 in 2019)
- Sex of primary applicant: 55% female, 45% male
- Median age: 48 (down from 49)
- Primary applicant age distribution: 2% under 21 / 13% 21-29 / 16% 30-39 / 21% 40-49 / 29% 50-59 / 18% 60+
For media inquiries, please contact our VP of Marketing, Divya Raghavan, at email@example.com.
To learn more about HealthSherpa’s partnership offering for employers, nonprofits, and other community stakeholders, contact our partnerships manager Aleka Gürel, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: data listed here is for federal marketplace states only and accurate to 5%.